Thursday, September 6, 2012

What the 2012 Boston Marathon Team Provided

As we gear up to start accepting applications for the 2013 Franklin Park Coaltion Boston Marathon team, it's a great time to look back on the experiences that the 2012 Boston Marathon team was able to provide by raising money for the Summer Youth Conservation Crew. For many of the teens who participated, this wasn't just a "summer job," but a work experience that introduced the group to new friends, new challenges, and educational take-aways that will last a lifetime.

If you are considering running for the 2013 team, take a look at some of the statements (unedited!) from the Summer Youth Crew. We hope that you will realize that when you run with us, you are impacting the lives of a deserving group of teens as well as the beautification of Boston's largest urban greenspace.

Applications will be available here and on the website on Monday, September 10.


From Jamie: "Working with the Franklin Park Coalition was very helpful and productive. This job helped me learn about different types of plants and things about Franklin Park that I didn’t know about. I had fun working with my crew and getting projects done. Being noticed for what we did by the people in the community who use the park made this job worth working for."

From Jevon: "I have learned that I am a dedicated, hard worker. I work well with others and I put a lot of care into what I do. From the first day I started working at Franklin Park I have learned why it’s so important to the community. I’ve also learned a lot about its history, for example, the Overlook ruins have been there since 1885. The best thing about this job was learning how hard I can push myself and getting to meet new people."

From Tenia: "This summer was quite an interesting one. I got my first job at Franklin Park. I learned a lot about myself and the park . While I passed by this park almost every day before I had this job, my views of it were that it was disgusting and nasty. But now that I have worked in this park for six weeks, I know the park is not really like that. It is peaceful and nice with a lot of beautiful plants. This is something I learned about the park from my job experience."

No comments:

Post a Comment